Increase the rigidity/quiet of your A1...

Let me clarify a bit: I doubt the foam ITSELF would absorb water, I
think the space between the foam and steel might wick and or serve as a
condensation point for water, and perhaps retain it, leading to corrosion.

I think I understand your point, but how would that be different than if the
foam were not there?  If there is condensation building up in these cavities
on its' own, then I would have to say that you have other problems, ie rust
and/or leaks...

'Wicking' as I understand it, is when something draws fluid into it, as if
it were a wick, as in a  capillary action...  The foam will not absorb
water, as it is a closed-cell type foam.  As mentioned before, this has been
used in marine applications...  Now, although this is in a steel cavity, and
any metal that changes temperatures can develop condensation, I cannot
imagine that the foam would make it worse.  The idea of this foam is that it
is air-tight, and water-tight.  IF this is properly applied (with no, or at
least few pockets of air), then there is no chance it can gather moisture,
unless you accidentally seal the sunroof drains...  Does that make sense?

Regards,
  David

TBerk