my 16v reving up

what should a 16v idle at ?

Since my 8v has a gas leak (I gotta find that part,
see below pls) I started driving the 16v again. The
engine is reving up past 2k all by itself. it is now
doing it even when hot too. What are things to look
for please ? Could it be a simple adjustment ? It revs
over 2k under load too, not just idling.

if anyone is parting a rocco, I need the pipe that
goes from the gas tank to the fuel pump, before the
pump. the one on my rocc is leaking worse. thanks

=====
87 Scirocco 8v
84 Jetta GLi 16v