From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Gordon Forbess
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 11:35 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Trunk re-do and a spare that fits

Here's the project I finished yesterday.. carpeting the trunk area.
I'll spare you the "before" picture - you know what it looks like.

http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/trunk.jpg

I had searched numerous bone yards for the carpeting that came in later
cars, but it was always in sad shape - and stunk.  Decided to invest a
little in refurbishing - as it turned out, it was cheaper than I thought.
Materials were:

2 yards (by 48in) unbacked carpet
2 yards vinyl backed carpet
2 quarts contact cement
1 roll (50 sq ft)Pergo flooring underlayment (dense foam sound deadening for
trunk floor)
2 18 x 24 x 2 foam sound deadening panels (rear quarter panels)
1 4 x 4 piece 1/4in masonite (new spare tire cover)

The Pergo stuff ($30) isn't Dynamat, but in multiple layers it serves the
purpose and also resulted in a soft floor.  All of my cuttings were stuffed
into the rear fenders for more sound control.

The unbacked carpet (speaker carpet) worked easily around the inner wheel
wells and inside the rear panel and sticks well with the contact cement -
glue as you go.  Also covered the cardboard side panels and inside of the
rear deck lid. I had enough vinyl backed carpet to make two complete floor
pieces as well as cover the rear seat back.

Total cost of materials was about $75 and I spent about 8 hours doing the
job.

Just one problem:  I like the flat floor and a stock teardrop wheel and tire
is about 2 inches too tall.  I need to find a decent spare tire/wheel combo
that fits in the well and will clear my front calipers (88 16v).  Is there a
mini spare that will work?  Did later cars come with them or 5 road wheels?

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9