350hp with 8vTransmission?

There are 5 things I can think of that may make an 020 tranny live (for a short while) at that
power/torque level.
1. replace the diff with a Quaife or Peloquin. The spider gears are weak and the teeth are generally
pitted from "normal" power levels.
2. ring gear bolt kit. You need it when you install the Quaife or Peloquin anyway, but, again, the
stock rivets are not strong enough.
3. make sure the gears are a tight fit on the shaft splines. I've seen more than one fifth gear that
wobbles on its splines, which I'm convinced causes uneven tooth wear and failure.
4. pick the right gear sets. As an example the 3.94 and 3.67 ring and pinion sets have a total of 84
teeth for both gears. The 3.89 ring and pinion has a total of 93 teeth. Higher tooth count means
smaller weaker teeth. I would not use the 3.89 r & p that came in the FN. Also, the gear ratio sets
vary in the number of teeth. I'd pick ratios that have a smaller tooth count. As it turns out the FN
is pretty good in this regard (with the exception of the ring & pinion) although there are two
different .71 ratio 5th gear sets, one with 89 teeth and one with 65 and I'd make sure I had the 65
tooth set.
5. make sure your parts are in good condition. no sense putting gears with worn teeth in a tranny
destined for big power.
Don't know it the 16V (AGB et al) trannies are any stronger due to the bigger input shaft or not
just because I don't know if the 8V input shaft is a particularly weak area of the tranny.
If you're planning a turbo engine (and that's what it sounds like) then the FN with a 3.94 or 3.67
final drive would be a good choice. The turbo can haul the wider gear spacing.
Also, if anybody cares, the 02J (and presumably the 02A) is way stronger. The gear center to center
distance is bigger which reduces tooth loading, the gears are all wider, the gear splines are huge
compared to the 020, the engagement sleeves are much stronger and best of all, first and second
gears have really cool triple cone synchros ;^)
Dan