name this audi (Audi a girls car...What!?!?)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 10:50:21 -0500, you wrote:

>I beg to disagree here...  I watched a documentary on Auto Union some time
>ago, and they stated that Auto Union coined that term in the thirties...  They
>set several speed records with those cars...  Mercedes may have used it later,
>but Audi had it first...

Google references say Alfred Neubauer, the MB team manager, coined the
phrase in 1934 at Nurburgring for the Mercedes entries.  The confusion
may be that the Auto Union cars were actually the first to run with
the silver color (earlier in 1934 at AVUS) and the MBs were then white
- the national racing color of Germany at the time.

For Nurburgring, Mercedes stripped the paint to make the 750kg weight
limit and the "silver arrow" name was applied to them by Neubauer.  I
got this from:  http://www.auto-union.info/history/intro.htm  Many
Mercedes racing teams have used the name since, including the McLaren
F1 team.

Gordon

88 Mercedes 300CE (silver, of course)
75 Mk1/Drake 1.9