Removing fender glue and undercoating?

One of the more disheartening experiences from my fender hunt on Saturday was realizing how much fender glue the factory applies to seal fenders and the fact that I'll have to remove the existing fenders from the car.

Is there a tried and true method for removal of the glue once the fender is separated?  What about the undercoating? Is it the same goop they use underneath the chassis? I worry about having to take a torch it - I don't want to warp the metal...

thanks, Jeff