Double? Bubble? Brake line trouble.

The flaring kits that I have used have all been called ISO metric flaring
kits, which is what the box of the one I finally purchased (because I was
tired of borrowing one everytime I did brake line work) says.

I believe a bubble flare is similar in construction, save that the pipe
and thread sizes are imperial, not metric like with the ISO flare.  A
bubble flare can be made with a standard double falring tool - simply by
not finishing the final step of the double flare - however you can not get
a reliable bubble flare seal with the ISO lines on the VW IMHO, because
the tubing sizes do not match.

Get the ISO flaring tool (sometimes called an ISO "bubble" flaring tool -
the key is ISO or metric!) and do the job right the first time.  If you
like your car and plan on keeping it, spend the coin and get the brake
line tubing from VW - it's multi-wall, treated against corroision, and is
very easy to work with.  Well worth the money.

HTH

Drew