  From: scas660@netzero.com
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 7:32 PM
  Subject: valve job

  Please help with some advice

  I recently wrote in about my 86 (16v) scirocco that burst a severe oil leak (probably the oil cooler "O" ring - I haven't pulled it apart yet to see for sure) More importantly, I'm pretty sure that I shot the valves because there is a fairly loud clicking noise coming from under the head. My mechanic said that the dealer estimate on a valve job is about $2300. He said he'd work with me and charge closer to $1500. My question is - is it worth it? I know the head has to be sent out to a machine shop and I wonder if the engine will ever be the same. Is this a job I can try myself? If so how long will it take?

  Thanks for any help -Steve