Injector Help

> I am trying to replace the injector seals on my 16v. I have a problem.
> Two of the injectors lost the bottom seal retainers. When I pulled the
> injector the injector came out but was missing the retainers for the
> lower(thin) gasket. I'm assuming its in the intake somewhere. I can see
> it is not on the plastic insert retainer. I think I can see it, but cant
> get to it.

Huh?? Bottom seal retainer.. is this something on the injector itself?

You're gonna have to clarify yourself here. There are several parts to all
of this:
- the injector itself
- the tiny metal tip on the injector. these can fall off
- the bronze (threaded) metal injector insert with 13mm allen recess
- the brown plastic (bakelite) injector shrouds that go inside inserts

parts you replace are as follows:
- the thick rubbery injector seal
- the small black o-rings that go on the tip of the injector
- the o-ring that goes between the plastic (bakelite) and metal insert
- the plastic shroud, cuz they're cheap and they break

Now, what fell down the intake? If its metal try tying a magnet to a
string (securely!! you don't want to make this worse!)

> I am assuming my next steps are to remove the intake manifold, fish out
> the retainer, redo the injector inserts, buy two new injectors and put
> everything back together. My questions are:

Sounds like you're talking about the tiny metal tip. Can't help you there;
mine have never fallen off. But I think they just clip/crimp back on. Not
sure that you need a new injector..

> 1) It looks like the intake manifold is actually two pieces, One from
> the throttle body over the valve cover and into the second which
> contains the injectors. What do you call this second (lower intake)
> manifold which holds the injectors and bolts to the block? Is there any

the lower intake manifold.

> problem removing it? I want to get any gaskets before starting the job.

Then get the upper<->lower gasket and the lower<->head gasket. They're
about $3 each. You shouldn't need to seperate the throttle body and upper
manifold.

Removal is easy; just make sure you have the allen wrench (well, socket)
seated properly before turning or you'll strip out the bolts that go in
to the head.

HTH

-Toby