Tightening head bolts on engine stand?

I don't know what diesel you were working on, but the correct diesel spec
for all 1.6L VW diesels is:

30 lb-ft initial
44 lb-ft second sequence
180 degrees third sequence (optionally 2 90 degree)
warm engine to operaing temperature then additional 90 degrees
after 1000 miles (give or take) of operation additonal 90 degrees

All torque angle steps are to be done without interruption and without
loosening.

Drew