From: "Jeff Toomasson" <jtoomasson@yahoo.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 12:07 PM
Subject: Tightening head bolts on engine stand?

This maybe completely obvious, but I keep thinking about it and worry that
it's not going to turn out as if it were done in the engine bay.

So - you have your cylinder head sitting on a block on a stand - that stand
has _wheels_ on it.  How does one get enough torque to cinch the bolts down
on a base that's nowhere near as sturdy as being installed in the car...?

I figured I could just pin the base of the stand against the garage door
threshold, but I sitll worry that I wouldn't be able to get the _exact_
right torque including the 180' turn... especially if I'm having to use one
foot for leverage on the stand...

Is it something you just need a strong friend for? Should it be tightened to
the right torque and then hoisted into the engine bay and then torqued the
180'? (this method seems the _most_ plausible, but still sketchy in my
mind...)

I just don't want to get it done and then realize I f*cked it up....   :)

Thanks, JT