From: Dan Bubb [mailto:jdbubb@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 7:38 AM
To: Rick Kellner; 'Scirocco List'
Subject: Re: OT, Jetta door latch question

The exterior handle is typically the problem.
The latch has to extend around behind the lock and it is divided into
two narrow arms to do this.
They're kind of weak and if one breaks then pulling the latch won't
actually release the mechanism.
It just bends instead.
Only two screws hold the handle on. One under the trim on the outside,
one on the rear face of the
door. Easy to remove and see if the latch things are broken, easy to
swap the lock, easy to
reinstall.
And they're pretty cheap.
Dan