I'm freezing my ass off outside, but..

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 01:59:02 -0500, Mike Smith <smithma7@gmail.com> wrote:

> On another note, I want to do the funksoulkitty in my MkII.  Well,
> maybe not "THE fuksoulkitty," but something in the same vein.  Is
> there enough info on the site for me to do it myself or should I
> pester, Hey, Bubb-a-ree-bubb?

Didn't you just master how to do you own oil change?  :)  A project as
involved as Kirsten's is well beyond my own capabilities, and I've
been wrenching on these things for almost 15 years!   Sorry to burst
your bubble, and I don't mean to sound harsh, but to say that you'd be
biting off more than you could chew to do something like this yourself
would be a huge understatement...

> Ok, Dan.  Sorry for that.   I've been drinking.

Oh, ok - now there's your problem!  :)   It's the beer talking...
Many a pipe dream is born from the intoxicating effects of alcohol...
;)   When you realize how much money, time, money, sweat, money, (and
oh ya - did I mention money) is required you may sober up in a
hurry...  hehehe

> knowledge is... well to be honest, the best Scirocco brain in the
> state of MD, to the best of my knowledge.  Is there any chance I could
> "adopt" you on weekends to help me do what I want to do with my
> 'rocco?

Shop rates START at $60+ an hour - better start saving!  :)  Seriously
though - that's a freakin HUGE favor to ask someone, especially
someone you don't even know that well.  The amount of time alone
required to do a swap like Kirsten's is astronomical, and I'm sure a
multi-talented guy like Dan gets lots of requests for his free time.
You might want to rephrase your question to:  "Is there any chance I
could pay you for your time to help me do what I want to do with my
'rocco?"   :)   An experienced "hand" for a project is worth more than
you realize...  Even if you paid someone $50 an hour to "help" - you'd
be saving a shitload of money compared to having a shop do all the
work...  I'm sure a shop would charge WELL over $10,000 for a swap
like Kirsten's...  Refer to the old car guys' axiom - "Speed costs
money - how fast do you want to go?"   :)

> I'll give a few months to decide (I need to get a job and a
> third car... key phrase there is "new job"  rapidly followed by "third
> car")....

You might want to "de-marry" as well... hehehe.  I have yet to find a
woman who would support my irrational and impulsive car craziness...
I certainly didn't have the collection of cars and time/money to
pursue my various car projects when I was being dragged, kicking and
screaming, down the torturous "path" of a long-term relationship...
Bitter?, nah - just wiser...  :)

Don't stop dreamin' though!  I'm a "dreamer" myself - but you have to
be realistic and truthful to yourself about your capabilities and
resources when contemplating a major project like this...   Baby
steps...  Start with a cam swap!  :D

Mark.
75
80 S