Drum brakes vs. winter question

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:12:02 -0500 (EST), C Boyko
> <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>>
>> > And order a second cable; replace them as a set.
>>
>> I really don't feel like doing both, I know, I'm lazy.
>
> Cathy, Cathy, Cathy.  That's not acceptable.  You know you must always
> replace your brake linings in pairs, and your brake cables in pairs
> (they stretch over time, and you really don't want one longer than the
> other)

Yeah, yeah, I'll order the second one since I procrastinated on doing it
today. No use doing it till it's a panic situation. (Hopefully they'll
both grip better than the headache's which were done as a pair, and the
one side still doesn't grip for shit despite correct adjustment procedure)

>> Well, this car better have decent meat left on the shoes, it's had two
>> sets of them on that side since I've owned it (she killed a wheel
>> bearing
>> on that side too, and no, I didn't screw up the repacking, a
>> "professioanal" may have though.) It's been a brakes nighmare, well, no,
>> at least the lines (knock wood) have been good. See, it could always be
>> worse.
>
> OK, now this sounds like someone didn't replace the brake linings in
> pairs.  Who needs a smack?

Well, THIS I didn't do. (This will be my first attack on this one's back
brakes, perfessionals did them the other two times) I did Klaus' in
pairs...and the Cabby's calipers for that matter... Shit, maybe I should
have mooched a second carrier off you. Bad karma in the front too then.

>> Bah, same here now!!! But that would be +1.5C in my case. It swung that
>> far in a day. So brakes may be on the books, before it goes back down to
>> -19ish again. But there's all that "Mom at Christmas" stuff to do,
>> baking,
>> decoroating, wrapping, construction, etc. ;)
>
> What, no working on a certain Mk1 that probably still runs like ass,
> if (s)he runs at all? :) :)

Klaus' sulking may end shortly, if I ever get all my "Festive Domestic
Duties" done. (gas on the hands and baking may not be a good mesh, ya
know?)And besides, he needs NOT to have snow drifting in through the
cracks in the siding onto him, just in case we ever DO get snow...the
construction was for his benefit...and his bitchy younger sisters'.

> Happy Christmas,
>
> Drew

For sure, but the kid's home, so expect horror stories. The POS Jetta came
through the northern cold, sans windsheild wiper and alternator belt. He's
an idiot.

Cathy
1999 TDI New Beetle
1987 2L 16V Scirocco
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V
"Deja moo- the feeling you've heard this bull before"