Little f@#king lightbulbs

Ok, so the light that should illuminate the headlight switch has never
worked in the rocco, or the wifes cabby for that matter.  I found a source
for them and bought 10 (smallest ammount I could order).  Now getting the
original bulb out was very much a small butch but slapping the new one is
was esay,.... too damn easy.  Matter of fact, so easy the danm thing doesn't
work.  Is there something I missed, looked plug and play, figured the old
bulb was stubborn as it's been in the car for 15/16 years but I've obviously
missed something.

While it's not a major deal and the bulbs were cheap, I'm just in the frame
of mind where I'm trying to get everything on the car to work as it's
supposed to.  An it's the second to last thing on my list I have yet to fix.
(Keep in mind this doesn't include a single damn thing in the engine bay).
So I'm just being picky but seriously, is there a way to replace those bulbs
and actually have them work.  Oh, these bulbs are the ones with no base,
just the glass with the contact wires on the outside at the bottom of the
bulb.

William