reverse issue with an 8v tranny

maybe the shifting fork is off the idler gear.. or the
gear is stripped.. maybe it only had a mm of gears
left until that ham-fisted mechanic jammed it in
there, removing that precious mm of teeth.  the rest
of the gears, ie, the forward gears, operate on a
totallay different principle than the reverse gear
does.  they are synchronised, the reverse is not..
unless you are driving a high-end audi.  that is why
it grinds when you don't let the input cluster spool
down after starting the engine.  you are forcing a
non-helical cut gear between too also non-helical cut
gears to reverse the direction of the output shaft
connected to the differential.  maybe that helps, to
at least look at what the problem is.. but if you
can't shift it by manually moving the lever, the next
thing may be to remove it, open it up, and have a look
inside.  it's not easy, but it's not impossible
either.  good luck!!!  lars