megasquirt users

--- Rick Kellner <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:

> Ben, I have been researching the MS option too and would like to hear
> more regarding your experiences.  I don't want to jump into the MS
> forums on line and deluge them with questions especially when I don't
> have the kit.  I did read the Mega Manual while I was on vacation and
> while it seems like a great system however, the learning curve and the
> initial start up can be lengthy.

Yes, really the largest investment to the whole setup is time.  Period.
I spent a few weekends just checking out all the wiring connections and making
sure that fuel was properly routed and flowing.

Lots of setup time initially = less agony later while attempting startup/run.

> Some of my observations from reading the manual are:
> VW fuel pumps, relay, lines to the engine, etc are acceptable.
> VW temp sensors are also acceptable.
> The stock ignition (from CIS-E), knock sensor, etc are also acceptable.
> RPM signal is easy to get too.

All yes...

> The stock VW fast idle circuit is acceptable.

Like Ron said... idle is different with MS.  I am still fine-tuning my idle...

> The fuel rail on the 16V seems to be one of the largest expenses; no one
> seems to have an adaptation from another VW product that works.
> Injectors fall next in line after the rail.

Yes, I would have purchased the Ross rail, or Bahn Brenner one if I did
it all over again...
And injectors...I would start out with a set of used Digifant injectors or
standard Bosch injectors (Saab, Volvo... all available at a junk yard..)
It's a cheap way to get up and running.  Just make sure that the injectors
are functioning properly of course!
Then, once you know the actual flow rate of injector you need, then make
the purchase for some good ones... (just the way I've been looking at it)

> Now for some questions;
> Are you running a wide band O2?
> What did you do for a fuel rail; I have heard that a 1.8t lines up
> however it requires extensions?
> What did you use for injectors?

I tried some Bosch injectors from a Saab 900 Turbo first (24lb I think)
Now using some from a Volvo 740 Turbo (28lb)

> Do you wish you stayed with Motronic?

Nope.  never used motronic... from CIS-E to MS.

I went to MS all because I wanted the challenge and fun of tuning my
car myself... my rocco is my fun car anyhow, so I just made it more of
a learning experience.  ;)

> How many miles do you have on the system?

Let's see... to Waterfest and back (10 hours each way)
and another 1000+ miles of "spirited" driving.
I'm taking the rocco to a track event in two weeks as well...  :)