megasquirt users

Benny and I have done almost parallel installs - we built them together but implemented them
separately.  He's farther along than I am right now, but both cars are running.  See my answers
below - pardon me for my liberty in answering a question you asked of Ben.

> while it seems like a great system however, the learning curve and the
> initial start up can be lengthy.

Moderate, I'd say.

> VW fuel pumps, relay, lines to the engine, etc are acceptable.
Lines to engine *bay* - a FPR has to be plumbed in.  FWIW, the lines are 8mm, which is essentially
equal to 5/16" (almost on the nose) for conversion to more popular line sizes.

> VW temp sensors are also acceptable.
Yup, with a slight mod to the code.  Simple utilities exist to re-flash with updated info
regarding the sensor you use.  Easy.

> The stock ignition (from CIS-E), knock sensor, etc are also acceptable.
Yup.

> RPM signal is easy to get too.
Yup.

> The stock VW fast idle circuit is acceptable.
Nope, MS uses only an on/off FIDLE signal, so stock (as applied to Sciroccos idle air bypass
valve.

> The fuel rail on the 16V seems to be one of the largest expenses; no one
> seems to have an adaptation from another VW product that works.
Yup.

> Injectors fall next in line after the rail.
Used ones can be had very cheaply.

> Now for some questions;
> Are you running a wide band O2?
Neither Ben nor I are running WB yet...it's definitely on the list, though.

> What did you do for a fuel rail; I have heard that a 1.8t lines up
> however it requires extensions?
Had one fabbed by a friend locally.  My advice: swallow hard and get the Ross rail.

> What did you use for injectors?
I used ones from a Jetta 1.8T, these are plastic and thinner than the Digi-style, which is a
pretty universal form factor in the injector world.  Damn near any injector it seems is physically
compatible with a Corrado-style digi injector.  Just pick high- or low-impedance and your flow
rate...

> Do you wish you stayed with Motronic?
I never had it.  I certainly don't miss K-jet or KE-Jet.  This is way more fun, and really, the
whole point of the project.

> How many miles do you have on the system?
About 10, around the block many times!  Need an air filter solution and some non-Megasquirt stuff
sorted before I go on a true journey, do massive datalogging, etc.

HTH

Ron