Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 12:47 PM
Subject: OT: My VR6 Jetta is doing spooky things in the corners, ideas?

> I know this is not Scirocco specific, but I thought someone might have
some ideas since honestly the suspension on my '97 is not really that much
different design-wise than a '75... I wouldn't expect a really good
experienced answer asking this question on the Vortex or vr6.org, and I know
we've all had Sciroccos long enough to run into some really strange
suspension problems among others.

> I started noticing a month or two ago, only when I'm going around a sharp
enough long sweeping right turn at highway speed that something settles or
moves. When this happens it feels like someone jerked the wheel further to
the right. When I come out of the corner it settles back to the way it was
in a much less noticeable way. It completely throws the balance of the car.

> It's really freaking spooky and it scared the crap out of me the first
time it did it.

> Each and every fastener, ball joint, tie rod end, strut bearing and other
mount I can find looks perfectly fine and tests perfectly tight, with the
exception of partially cracked rear control arm bushings that I can only
verify possible fault visually on.

> My question is, is it possible that a control arm bushing would cause
this? They're the only supension part on the front of the car that are
factory original parts that I don't know for sure are good.

> Otherwise, any ideas? I would start thinking cracked body structure with
a Scirocco but A3's with plus suspension like this have big beefy subframes
and heavy frame rails and everything looks really good.

> Thanks for looking and again, sorry it's offtopic but you folks have a lot
more experience than most other places I've been.