From: "C Boyko" <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 9:04 PM
Subject: The weekend and other odds and ends

So I had "the gang" up for the weekend, since there is some special
occasion tomorrow (which shall remain nameless), and it seemed like an
excuse for a GTG. Friday afternoon Daun and Drew rolled in, and the tech
procedures began in earnest. The victim was poor Klaus once again, the
plan was a TT downpipe, and an assortment of odds and ends from there
back. A few nasty studs and some excellent "convincing" from Mr Tech
Procedure made us all believers in candle wax. George and his friend Jeff
(Geoff?) rolled in next, stayed for a while , then headed for the track,
to beat on George's stealthy black 8V MkII. Sounds like he had a good time
at the track, and it was way cool to have all those Sciroccos in my
driveway. The evening deteriorated into alcohol and insect porn. Don't
ask.
Saturday was more of the same theme (okay, it really IS all about me,
okay?) and eventually sculptured steel of a decent diameter replaced the
previous restrictive exhaust. I'm lucky to have friends that don't mind
packing a welder in the hatch. The "real" muffler was a flop, so Klaus now
has a Cherry Bomb glasspack, it's a blast, he's so loud. When I refer to
my tools as rocks and sticks? We really did use a stick to "modify the
Bomb". It'll be my dirty little track muffler, if only for the
intimidation factor. 8Vs sound so raw and down to business unmuffled.
There had been a dyno planned, but this list is inhabited by pussies who
use excuses not to put their cars on the rollers. Like "I'm moving" and
"They won't let me through Customs" and "Security clearance problems" and
"I'm a pussy, and I broke my twin". So there was some covert activity with
Mark (aka "Mr. which of my three 80S's should I drive") in the afternoon,
and Drew headed home. Daun and I got home to discover that my garage had
been violated by a red Honda Civic(Ewwww) and a bunch of my friends rolled
in, including George and Jeff, and there was a cake of some kind, (which
shall remain nameless).
Sunday we headed out to the track after I finished Daun's new headlight
harness (my 5th this year), and Daun headed home. It was a nice quiet
weekend, but fun.
Klaus ran his best time so far, a 16.3, not bad considering I was dialing
at 18.8 previously, and hadn't cracked into the 16s with this engine yet.
There's still room for improvement, but the new exhauast unleashed quite a
lot of power.
So today I began the destruction on the headache, expect lots of "how not
to do a clutch" notes coming along soon...

It was a great weekend even though it was a small group, hopefully the
circuit track will be open next year, and we can have another GTG.

Cathy
1987 2L 16V Scirocco "Slipping Clutch Edition"
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V "Klaus, now with more growl"
1988 Cabby "on the road again"
"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" (Fred Rogers)