Autocross tips and tricks...

See the TT site. Dyno Tests | Open Intake v. Stock Air Box.  Shows a loss
in both HP and torque with the open intake.  (A full race engine would
probably benefit from the open intake.)  There was a write-up on this that
gave more details. I thought they reported a very slight gain from a filter
set up with greater flow capacity, but it was not the first thing to buy
when looking for more power.  IIRC they noted that there was a lot more
noise from the engine and as a result there were a lot of people who
reported that they could "really feel a big increase in power" after
removing the air cleaner.

Chris