The new game, brakes

> Hummmmmmmmmm.
>
> A reality tv show show about scirocco owners, that one I would watch!

Yeah, I think Al's garage cam needs to come up here, much better
entertainment watching me kill stuff, but it could only air in Canada
where we can swear freely. Though reading Drew's post, I think he may
already HAVE a camera in my garage, he wins the "modified" 1988 Ford
alternator AND as a special bonus prize, some rare previously experienced
brake hardware, customized by yours truly. It'll be missing the part that
attaches it to the carrier. Becuase it is still IN the carrier. Grrr. (to
the bottom...)

> Drew <drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>> When we last saw our heroine, she was smiling as she snapped not one,
>> but
>> both bleeder screws off of the front calipers. This was part of the
>> attempt to replacethe master cylinder you may recall. No panic had beset
>> her, since she knew she had a group of friends who would either rush to
>> her rescue( yeah, right, as if I'd expect it) or laugh at her...(the
>> latter came in a resounding chorus, and I thank you)
>
> Oh, come on (hee hee - ow, my sides hurt!) I wasn't laughing (ho, ho -
> dammit!) THAT hard... :)
>
>> She mounts her trusty horse (Klaus)and goes to town for provisions:
>> beer,
>> easy outs, oxygen, reman calipers, of course she only got one side...
>
> Well, you got the critical ingredient covered (beer!) - everything else is
> optional.
>
>> So now here's where you get to play along.
>
> Really? Cool. DO I get to play with your toys, or do I have to bring my
> own?
>
>> You get to guess what went wrong next!!!
>
> Oh, there are SO many possbilities. But I'm guessing you either a)
> rounded off, or b) snapped off, one or both caliper carrier bolts. Hint -
> vice grips will get the rounded out ones off - your replacement calipers
> will have new boots, so don't worry about the boots. But you will have to
> get new caliper hardware kits - about $15 a side I think at crappy tire -
> for new bolts and steel sleeves.
>
>> I'm going to the track, enough fun for now. But I'm still smiling, no
>> panic, not yet.
>
> Well, maybe they're just rounded off. I'm never impressed when the
> buggers snap off in the carrier - but at least A1 carriers bolt on, while
> A2 ones are integral with the wheel bearing housing - snapping one of
> THOSE off will give you a headache real quick.
>
>> Write your sequel to the story here! Please be creative...I need a
>> laugh.
>
> Nah, fiction is never as weird and wonderful as reality, especially when
> YOUR cars are involved. I'm just going to wait for the Reality TV show -
> I'm expecting it to be introduced as a "trailer park boys" spinoff - "The
> South Cayuga Hillbillies."
>
> Have fun at the track.

You don't know the half of it. (the redneck tales I could tell you...) SO
three of four caliper bolts come out, after I figure out how to generate
decent leverage on my mighty 1/4" drive (It's my only set of Allens, that
goes on the Christmas list) Numbers one through three, all give the
familiar "good squeak" and yielded. Number four? A very light twist, and
it doesn't seem to be screwing outwards, not good, it's snapped, without
any force, or snapping sound. Nothing. Anyhow, the remains are still in
there, and await my "loving touch". But the beer is good, and the headache
picked up some of its lost time at the track, so that's good.
Unfortunately the fastest run was faster than his dial time. Break outs
are the best way to lose though.

And Denny got to play "20 questions" with the OPP last night, he was VERY
close to 113 in a 50, but luckily he was mere yards from it in the 80 when
they locked the radar on. Questions included: "What's up with your license
plate?" (ROCC IT) "This car seems very noisy, what's that about?" "Do you
have any children?" (he admitted to having the daughter) "This is quite
the hot rod , is it?" (to which Denny says "yes", duh) He just kept saying
it was his wife's car... he couldn't find the ownership, so he kept asking
the cop if he could use his flashlight and got off with a $52 ticket. He
was lucky, when the cop told him his speed he said "No way" as a reflex.
I'd say not, I'm gonna get nicked for much worse that 113. It's a very bad
little car.

Cathy