Loose steering wheel

I searched the archive last night and found the source of my loose steering
wheel. It's the bearing at the lower end of the column. I pulled the high
end, and pushed it back up in from the bottom, slid the spacer back on, then
replaced the wheel, blah, blah.

Pulling back into the driveway the bitch, (sorry ladies, Cathy..Julie..)
popped right back out.

So...WHAT KEEPS THIS ASSEMBLY SNUG??? There's already a hose clamp at the
base but it doesn't really appear to be doing anything.

tia,
Jon