16v: how do i keep oil from flooding the distributor?

-----Original Message-----
From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Kevin Collins
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 9:28 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: Re: 16v: how do i keep oil from flooding the distributor?

David Utley wrote:

> Sometime in '94 (IIRC), a former upper muckity-muck from
> GM went to work for VW (GM tried to sue, stating they had an
> argeement that he would not go to work for a major competitor, I
> think it failed).  Again, IIRC his name is Joe Lopez?

Inaki Lopez.  VW lured him from GM.  He allegedly stole a buttload of
documents from GM when he left and brought them over to VW. GM sued, not
sure if they won or settled out of court, but either way they got a BIG
settlement.. part of which was that VW agreed to buy $1 billion worth of
parts from GM over some set period of time.  We can thank that little
agreement for the shitty Monsoon "premium" (I use the term VERY loosely)
stereo systems in the current cars.

Guess who makes all the brakelight switches that are currently under recall?
You guessed it.  Delphi of Germany  (Ja, you nowww drive und Opel,
hahhahahaa)...

You're right, that guy was the price slasher!  He apparently was the
master of beating the lowest costs out of suppliers.  Great.

I saw an article on the web just the other day, talking about how
domestic parts suppliers are sick of dealing with the US automakers and
are doing more and more business with the Japanese brands, because they
don't treat them like adversaries but rather as partners.  They want low
cost but also want quality, and are respectful of suppliers' trade
secrets, while apparently the Big Three want nothing but cheap cheap
cheap and will steal your trade secrets or share them with another
(cheaper) supplier in a heartbeat.

Yes, I have heard that the Japanese are very respectful.  Quality and price.
BTW, I do think Lopez left in like 98 or 99, but obviously not before
infected the rest of the crew with his disease...
Thanks for the confirmation....
Cheers,
  David

--