16v: how do i keep oil NOW: Car companies

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:09:39 -0700 (PDT), Dan Smith
<sad_rocc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Along these lines, I've heard from a few people about a rumor regarding straight 6s. I heard that they lasted for ages and were super reliable, durable engines and because they lasted so long, companies opted to stop using them. Sounds like an urban legend, but I figured someone here would know.

A straight six is a super smooth running engine. I have a 3 liter
single OHC six in a Benz 300CE which is still going strong after 225k
miles and has had no major maintenance issues.

The V6 configuration now used by Mercedes came about because that
engine shares a great number of parts with a V8 and, I've read, is
actually built on the same assembly line.  Production cost savings
seems to be a major motivation.  In addition, the V6 fits in a tight
engine compartment.  The straight six takes up a lot more room.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9