Upholstery Repair, seats, foam rubber, leather dye

For those of you who have repaired your seats:

1.  Did you have to use OEM foam rubber? (I'm thinking specifically about
the side bolsters. The OEMs are molded into shape.  I had the foam in one
bolster replaced by a shop and they said they would use a more dense foam.
This led me to believe that a generic block of foam was used and perhaps
only needed to be roughly shaped in order to work.)

2.  If  OEM foam should be used (and I don't think the foam for our cars is
still available from VW) did you find foam parts from later year VWs (or
other cars) that could be substituted (perhaps with some reshaping)?

3.  Has anyone re-dyed their leather upholstery?  I see a place on the Web
called World Upholstery  www.worlduph.com advertises an aerosol dye called
"Classic Leather Dye".  Has anyone used this product and if so how did  it
work out?  Haas anybody dealt wiht World Upholstery?

4.  I have also seen leather repair kits advertised that can supposedly
repair cuts, tears or holes in leather (and supposedly look good) but I
can't imagine that would actually be the case.  Anybody have any experience
with them?  My guess is that the only way to really repair a torn leather
panel is to replace the panel.

Thanks,

Chris