Tranny ???

> what is better to do....rebuild the existing stock tranny in my 1987 rocco
> 16v or get a 4k tranny rebuilt??  what is better about the 4k?  if
> anything?  also, whats the deal with these 5th gear conversions?  are they
> worth it??

Depends on your goal. The 4K will give you the 3.94 final drive, and get
you off the line faster, but it'll scream at the top because it'll rev
higher. That's why people swap to a 5th that will allow for lower rpms at
highway speed, especially if you do much mileage at speed. I've gone both
routes, Klaus just got a "tenderly used" 4k, and the headache has an AGB
which now bears little resemblance to it's original state, it has a 3.94,
which means 4rth also has to be swapped (the 16V version of 4rth won't fit
the 3.94 pinion if memory serves) and I  opted for a .80 fifth. The
rebuild of course cost more than buying my 4K, and I'm happy with the
result, it was getting a diff anyway. But if you can find a 4K that isn't
too beat up, that's another way to go. Pretty sure you need to swap the
flanges for the larger ones if you go this route though. I was lucky to
have a trusted source for a good 4K, and a neighbour who's a tranny
mechanic.
Cathy

1987 2L 16V Scirocco "the silver headache" (custom AGB)
1979 1.8L 10:1 8V "Klaus" (4K)
"They call me the breeze, I keep rolling down the road" (Lynard Skynard)