Rear end upholstry

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:46:14 -0700, Jacob Hawes
<gr8hunter1@comcast.net> wrote:

>What kind of upholstery is supposed to be in the trunk of an '80 roc?
>floor, sides and hatch.

Here's the project I finished a couple of months ago. carpeting the
trunk area.  I'll spare you the "before" picture - you know what it
looks like.

http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/trunk.jpg

I had searched numerous bone yards for the carpeting that came in
later cars, but it was always in sad shape - and stunk.  Decided to
invest a little in refurbishing - as it turned out, it was cheaper
than I thought.  Materials were:

2 yards (by 48in) unbacked carpet (speaker carpet)
2 yards vinyl backed carpet (same stuff, vinyl sprayed)
2 quarts contact cement
1 roll (50 sq ft)Pergo flooring underlayment (dense foam sound
deadening for trunk floor)
2 18 x 24 x 2 foam sound deadening panels (rear quarter panels)
1 4 x 4 piece 1/4in masonite (new spare tire cover)

The Pergo stuff ($30) isn't Dynamat, but in multiple layers it serves
the purpose and also resulted in a soft floor.  All of my cuttings
were stuffed into the rear fenders for more sound control.

The unbacked carpet (speaker carpet) worked easily around the inner
wheel wells and inside the rear panel and sticks well with the contact
cement - glue as you go.  Also covered the cardboard side panels and
inside of the rear deck lid. I had enough vinyl backed carpet to make
two complete floor pieces as well as cover the rear seat back.

Total cost of materials was about $75 and I spent about 8 hours doing
the job.  http://partsexpress.com was the source of the carpet and
some sound deadening material.  The rest is Home Depot.

Gordon

75 Mk I/Drake 1.9