[OT] You & your Car: Two Hundred Years Ago - was: OT: WWJD

Patrick Bureau wrote:

 > ->From:Dan Krautkremer
 > ->
 > ->Jesus was an carpenter. Therefore he would drive
 > ->a pickup truck with ladder racks...
 > ->Danno,
 >

 > It would have to be a diesel since refineries
 > where not invented back then.
 > -
 > ATS - Patrick Bureau

Funny- A TDI running off of EV Olive Oil.

Here's a question: What would you need to do if you and your car were
transported back oh say 200 years to the beginning of the 1800's. (let
me go do some research as to what to expect...)

OK, I found a page with a church's bicentennial coming up; it has a lot
of the stuff I was looking for in one place:

<http://www.dtownpc.org/Gant.htm>

So, the horse is the main means of long distance travel. The ship gets
you across oceans, if you can afford it, in terms of both time AND money.

Oil is around but it'll be safe bet that gasoline isn't yet being
refined. I'd say kerosene might be though, and other more tar like
flammables. So fuel is a problem.

Lubricants, while inadequate, become less troublesome though. I'd think
filtering and reusing, with augmenting, your original oil would be a
good idea.

Rubber has been around awhile at this point but (lets check) BUT
unfortunately
<http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blrubber.htm>
Firestone won't have patterned Vulcanized Rubber until decades later.

So, tires are scarce. Air filled pneumatic tires will prob. not be a
factor. Solid tires made from, something, will likely be a better option
(ugh).

So, what happens to your car in 1804? Man, if only it was 1904, things
would be soooo much easier.

Of course the original question might have been 'what if' it was 2
*thousand* years back instead but- Hmmm, jack it up off the wheels and
sleep in it.

Or do like I do know; sit behind the wheel and make "vroom!, vroom!" noises.

TBerk