Automatic Trans for 16v

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:10:50 -0400 (EDT), "Sandor" <sandor@vwot.org>
said:
> sure did...only in the B3 passats on our shores...I've always wanted to
> find a decent one (fat chance) and do a mk1 rabbit or jetta 16V
> auto...specifically I would do it on a car that was a factory auto.  Add
> some AC and PS and make it the wifes car...somethign for slogging through
> Toronto traffic and grabbing the groceries.

a wee bit counterproductive tho, might as well leave the 1.8.8 in there.
Oddly enough, I have considered the idea for my own jetta. If I had to
commute 3 hrs in rush hour every day I'd probably try to find an
automatic rather than give up the 2.16

> Course to do that you'd have to swap to the 02A style tranny mounts
> right?

I would imagine so, especially in a Mk1

> Can you actually hook a 16V up to a 020 auto?

yup. (the 3-speed auto you're referring to is a type 013 iirc. 020's are
5-speeds)

> I would think that it would be torn apart by the 16v?

yup :)

> I mean 020 auto tranny's aren't exactly known for their durability.

nope, but they do ok with the 1.8.8's. Passat 16v slushboxes are (quite)
a bit worse.

Dumitru

                          unladen european swallow