Critical juncture in ABA rebuild - frozen crank (WTF?)

I've been on the precipice of tightening my crankshaft sprocket - so most of you can imagine how far I am into this saga.

A few days ago I tried to tighten the sprocket bolt and finally got the crank to turn when I was half way through my 90-degree additional turn. I thought this was odd, but just attributed it to the snug fit of the piston rings. But it still turned though so I wasn't worried. I just figured the rings needed to get seated and that would happen when I fired it up...

Today I went to tighten the sprocket bolt again prepared to brace the crank using a 2x4 (thanks for the tip, Ron!), but I could get it all the way through the 90-degree turn this time and then some!

The left side of my brain says somethings f*cked up in there and I need to tear it apart, but the right side says it's just the rings and they'll pop in once I start it (though that event isn't for 3-5 months!!).

I know either way it's the rings because the damn thing spun perfectly with little effort when only pistons 1 and 4 were installed. But is this something that's life-threatening?? (I think I know the answer but I need to hear it from someone else...)

Background:  I used a synthetic paint brush to coat the bores with 20w50 before installing the rods and pistons. All bearing surfaces received Redline Assembly Lube.

Thanks for any input - Jeff