From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org [mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Edward
Effinger
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 11:22 AM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Yay me... motor mounts for MK1

I too am contemplating the passenger side motor mount
on my 81 Mk1.
I do have a Bentleys manual but thought I would check
with the experts here that have done it as to the best
way to handle this motor mount replacement.

Sometimes the manual misses a few things or doesn't
approach the problem the easiest way.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Ed 1981 Mk1 S

8V:

Jack up the car and support it properly...
Start with breaking loose the crank and WP pulley bolts, 6mm allen, or 13mm,
and remove belt and pulleys.
Remove upper TB cover, 10mm, and 6mm allen.
Remove lower TB cover, 10mm, 5 mm allen.
Support the engine with a floorjack, so you can lower and raise the engine.
Break loose the 17mm bolt, that goes through the mount and remove.
Remove the stud/bolt and 13mm bolt that secure the front of the mount to the engine.
I use a ViseGrip to remove the 2 - 6mm allen bolts, that secure the rear of the mount.
Crank it down as tight as you can, and break each one loose, then repeat, until you can
turn them by hand. - Make sure you replace the 2 allen bolts with regular grade 8 bolts.
Work the mount and bracket out.
I use an air hammer to get the old mount out, and then a 30 ton press to press the mount in,
but I used to use a large Wilton vise, which works, but is very time consuming.
Re-install the mount assembly, by installing the large 17mm mount bolt first, but don't tighten it,
then line up the mount to the engine holes, by moving the engine. Install and gradually tighten the
4 bolts, then lower and remove the jack, and tighten the 17mm mount bolt, gutten tight(LAGV).
Then reinstall the lower TB cover, upper cover, pulleys, and V belt.

HTH!

Peter
http://thescirocco.com
Feel free to call me between 11AM and 11PM - 302.832.8989.

ATS - Patrick Bureau - '85 3A/JH 2L 102.5 WHP Scirocco.
'86 8v White, '82 1.7L Carbed,  '78 Gti 8v and  '81 S Project.
Email: ats@longcoeur.com - Web: http://ats.longcoeur.com/
See what I am selling today on ebay: HTTP://tinyurl.com/22e5b