downpipe/cat update

This morning on the way to the muffler shop, 5 miles from the destination, my
rocco just ran out of power and stopped at the side of the road.  Had to have
it towed the rest of the way.  Bummer.  So close and yet so far.

The chunk of catalyst had reshaped itself into a cone-shaped wedge so it
nearly blocked the converter exit pipe.  But now that the new TT downpipe/cat is
installed, I'm happy to report it's power has been renewed.  Still a few much
smaller pieces jumping around in the muffler, but mechanic said those should
eventually work themselves out.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the TT unit.  No welding required.  One
downside tho - it's missing the flexible joint at the exhaust manifold which is on
the OEM equipment.  As a possible result, the car emits more sounds of metallic
stress from the exhaust system during hard acceleration and cornering than it
did before.  I called TT and they confirmed this is an issue.  The stainless
unit has the flex coupling already installed.  TT suggested I might be able to
alleviate the problem by loosening and retightening the engine mounts.  Or
could try purchasing their dual outlet flex coupling 253.001 for $100 and having
it welded onto the new downpipe.

I'll drive it for a few weeks and see if it settles in by itself.

Grant