Tensioner Good, Exhaust Bad

They seem to be hit or miss on the quality. I recently saw one cracked in half, in 2 pieces that had 5000 miles on it. There are many, many people who have experienced their manis cracking after normal use. Some people seem to have issues with their downpipes as well, but a lot of it seems to be simple bitching because the part didn't fit perfectly. Some people don't understand that not all parts bolt on as easily as a K&N. For manifolds, I would reccommend just about anyone but ATP. On the top of my list though are the home-built ones often seen on vortex. Zornig makes an excellent piece that is very well loved. EIP is also trying very hard to turn their old rep around, so they're turning out top notch parts as well. If it's a 16v that you're looking for a mani for, check out the FAQ stickied at the top of the Tech: Forced Induction page.

Dan

David Utley <mr.utility@highstream.net> wrote:
Hey Dan,
Why, on the manifolds? Are they crud? I may be in the market one day, so
clue me in...

Thanks,
David Utley

Quoting Dan Smith :

> I guarentee you're not going to find a flex joint that's 2.16". Maybe 2 1/4".
> Have you checked the usual suspects? (TT, Autotech, Potter, etc) Or maybe
> other turbo sites like Greddy, EIP, Kinetic, Turbonetics, etc? It's doubtful
> you'll find anything better and cheaper though. And I'm sure there's people
> with 4" flex pipes out there somewhere. ATP does have some nice stuff at
> fairly decent prices, just stay away from their cast manifolds.
>
> Dan
>
> Spewey wrote:
> Dan Smith wrote:
>
> > pick one up in just about any diameter from ATP (www.8vturbo.com).
> > Lots of people use them for their custom downpipe applications and
> > they seem of pretty decent quality.
> >
> > Just checked the site. They're stainless steel and come in sizes 2,
> > 2.5, 3 and 4". Prices go from $26 to $49.
>
> Schweet. That was exactly the answer I was looking for and should help
> Bryan R as well. Cat or no cat, header or not, it has to bend somewhere
> and it's good to know an affordable source for 2 & 2.5" exhausts. They
> also have some other nice looking hardware.
>
> But now, weren't the bigger stock [A2 GLI/16V] exhaust parts 55mm
> (2.16") so if you want to use one of these with that you still need to
> keep looking or accept a compromise? I can't remember.
>
> > Spewey wrote: I would love to hear the current state of the art on
> > solving this matter from the pros.
>
> Guess that's done. Nice job and thanks.
> Now can you show me an A1 with 4" pipe anywhere on the net?

David Utley