Timing belt Tensioner

Hmmm, that's strange.  I haven't changed a tensioner in a while, but I
don't seem to recall having any issues.  Don't forget that the
tensioner's hole is off center, did you try positioning it so that it's
"top heavy"?

Your passenger side engine mount might also be shot, causing the engine
to sit low on that side.  The mount may also have been pressed in upside
down (BTDT - my local VW dealership actually pressed it in wrong!).

If you don't feel like screwing with the engine mount, you *might* be
able to get it on there by removing the stud (they're usually not in
there too tight), putting (preferably) a new one into the hole of the
tensioner, and then lowering the "assembly" into place.  Get two slim
nuts (or grind down two old ones) and lock them together to torque the
stud in place (since there's only a bit of thread sticking out from the
tensioner).  OR, if you're lazy just put some red loctite on the stud
threads and use a pair of visegrips with some rubber or something to
protect the threads.

HTH,

Mark.
75