16V 2.0 Pickup lives, sort of... Update...

  Jim Jarret, Jeff, Brian, and others, thanks very much for the responses to
my requests...  The sucker was indeed off at the cams, I think both were
off...  I understand much better now why you folks have a love/hate
relationship with your cars...  :-)  Damn, stupid to have to time it by trial
and error. I got it on the second attempt with some help.

  To sum up what we found:  Timing at the T-Belt was off by one tooth, both
cams were off, and the dist. was maxed at 7 degrees...  I was really irritated
when I discovered that the valve cover bolts were finger tight.  Add that to
the list of other things that were not tight:  All fasteners for the front
suspension (we towed this thing three times with me in it, once to the shop,
and back and forth from the muffler shop), the axle stubs in the bearings (he
was smart enough to have them, but not smart enough to  tighten them up, so I
will need new bearings), headbolts (they were all over the place), many others
that at this point are not worth mentioning...  It just goes to show what you
can get when you buy an unfinished (unproven on the road) project...

  But now, I have justified my buying this thing, with y'alls help...   :-)

Thanks very much again...

Cheers,
  David Utley

David Utley