Help! Another 2.0 16v pickup in peril

Its in peril of being junked if it doesn't stop acting up.

Background:

Instrument cluster has been reading high coolant temps for some time
now...verified with *2* different meters that it is *incorrect*.  I
haven't verified it yet after all the work mentioned below, but a "lazer
style" temp reader, and a different VDO temp guage verified that as soon
as the head hit 100C, the rad fan would come on. (meanwhile, the interior
guage was reading at the red line).

Regardless, it blew its HG not too long ago...this was a minor blow, oil
only seeping out the back of the head, nothing getting burned or mixing of
fluids.

HG was replaced, as was lower radiator hose, heater core, heater valve,
and that silly Y shaped hose that goes to the head,WP and oil cooler.

Problem:  Really, I'm down to a issue that I can't seem to get rid of.  I
replaced the above said Y hose because when I pulled the head I could see
it was a bit crusty (the flange was...this is the flange that the upper
rad hose also hooks to).  Well, I slapped it all together before I got the
new hose, and sure enough, it leaked a TON.  So, again, I drop the coolant
(I had some T-stat issues too...this was the 4th time now I have dropped
the coolant after the HG swap)...replace that Y hose, burp the system,
everything *seems* ok...fan cycles (but only on for VERY brief periods),
coolant seems to be circulating fine (rad getting hot)...but, that DAMN
connection at the head and that Y hose is LEAKING AGAIN! Its a new hose,
high quality hose clamp (worm gear type)...I just dont get it.  Plus, I
drove it to work today, and it almost overheated...fan wasn't coming on
that I could tell, turning on the heater did pull the temps down.

I am SICK to death of coolant and 16v engine nightmares are occuring...any
suggestions, BTDTs welcome...is that coolant flange on the head a common
issue?  I'm almost wondering if the crustyness was the flange had been
eroded or something...

--
Eric
www.vintagewatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Rabbit Truck 2.0 16v
81 Scirocco S (TDI Swap project)
90 Corrado TDI
91 Cabriolet (2.0 Crossflow swap project)