The News is in from the machine shop

There's two schools of thought on this one.

1)  Leave some "room" for future work on the engine.  If you only go 1
step, you're leaving yourself room to overbore once or twice more,
significantly increasing the potential life of the engine.

2)  Go big or go home.  :D  I'm a believer in this philosophy.  Boring
is boring, the machine shop probably won't charge much more to bore it
out a bit more.  The shop I worked for would bore up to .030" before
charging more for bigger holes (rare).  Same goes for the pistons and
rings.  I can't say for sure for VW pistons, but for the typical
domestic engines that our shop did .030" over pistons were the same
price as .010" over, or marginally more expensive.  I haven't priced
pistons for VW/Audi's yet, so I don't know if this applies to your
situation...  The pitfall with going big is that if you happen to bugger
up a cylinder somehow yer screwed.  BUT, you can always swap out the
internals to another freshly bored block, so it wouldn't be a total
loss.

Overboring (and the required parts) will extract about the same amount
of coin from your bank account, whether you go with option 1 or 2...

As with most things in life, you have to weigh the risks vs. the
rewards.  Are you willing to give up those extra ponies for some built
in "insurance", or do you throw caution to the wind and have a 2.1 liter
monster under your hood?  I know which one I would choose...  :)

HTH,

Mark.
75
80 S