Things not to wear when welding

Let me guess, you were pulling small pieces of melted plastic off your feet today? On the more serious side, one thing to keep far far away from welding areas is lighters.

When working with Rick Alexander, he told me a story about how when he was in the Navy, a guy set a lighter down on a steam pipe in the engine room. The lighter obviously melted and burst with enough force to severely bend a couple nearby prop shafts. This was on a destroyer or similiarly sized ship, so the shafts are pretty huge. He also knew of people (or stories of said people) who always kept their lighter in their breast pocket while welding and an errant piece of molten metal would land on/near the lighter, melt through it and blow off the person's torso.

While both stories are a bit fuzzy since it's been awhile since I've heard them, they've obviously left lasting impressions on me. While the chances of molten metal landing on a lighter are in most cases slim, it's definitely not worth the risk.

Dan

Julie Macfarlane <juliemac57@hotmail.com> wrote:
Nylon sneakers.
Ask me how I know...