How can I tell if my FF is <81 or later?

I've got an FO w/.76 and an FN w/.71 so, unfortunately the serial numbers don't do us any good.
Pulling the 5th gear housing and looking at the gear is the most positive way to tell. You only have
to remove 6 bolts and tap the housing off with a hammer.
Peter has the gaskets seperately for like $7 so you don't need to buy the whole gasket seal kit if
you bung up the gasket.
The gear count for the .76 ratio is 62/44.
The gear count for the .71 ratio is 38/27.
A quick little tooth count is all it takes.
While you're swaping 5th make sure the gear on the pinion shaft is a tight fit on the splines. Every
broken 5th gear that I've seen (only 3 so it's not statistically relavant) wobbles on the splines.
Don't know if it's the wobble on the splines that causes the teeth to break or the teeth breaking
that causes the gear to wobble on the shaft, but I would not install a 5th gear that isn't tight on
the splines in any case. Especially if you have bunch of power.
On yet another note, the tooth count for the .76 ratio is really high (108) so it has really small
teeth that aren't that strong. The .75 is a stronger set at 89. The .71 is stronger yet at 65 if you
have the engine to pull it.
So, guess which 5th gear is going in the nephew's JH junkyard turbo Rocco!
Oh, I forgot. There are two different .71 gear sets out there (according to ETKA). The other set has
a gear count of 52/37.
OK! That's all I know about this. And I mean ALL!
Dan