Transaxle Q's

Because later cars did away with the UPSHIFT LIGHT and its supporting
mechanisms.  The Multi-pin square reverse light switch also has poles in
it to tell the upshift light control relay when the car is in fifth gear
(and so cannot upshift any more.)

Consider yourself lucky you have a gearbox with a $7 reverse light switch
instead of a $25 one... :)

Drew