OT - Cry for Help (At the Mercy of Viruses/Spyware)

stetson wrote:
> One word.
> linux

Operating systems are like religion -- some people
will go to war over what they believe is the one
true one.

I'm not a fan of Microsoft.  I bought a book, The
RedHat Linux Bible (Fedora edition), that included
3 CDS.  I was quite pleased when the install (dual
boot) on my desktop machine went smoothly,
auto-detecting things along the way.  I was even
more pleasantly surprised when I could mount my
Windows drive and open all my MS Word, Powerpoint,
and Excel files using the OpenOffice software
included on the Fedora CDs.

I was less than pleased when I installed it on
my Windoze laptop.  It went smoothly, but the
graphic interface (X/Gnome) would hang at various
points.  An update to the video driver solved that
problem.  I still haven't resolved the Winmodem
issue. The built-in modem is not a real modem,
but it (sort of) acts like one.  When I get that
licked, I'll be a very happy camper.

In my mind, it's $50 well spent.  You get the
OS, OpenOffice, and a lot of other things (Apache
web server, MySQL database) thrown into the deal.

If you are pulling your hair out, it might be
worth trying. It helps to have a utility like
Partition Magic to re-partition your hard
drive (half Windows OS, half Linux). Then you
can have the best of both worlds.

Just my 2 cents,
Kent