From: Brian Wagner [mailto:brian_wagner@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: April 7, 2004 3:46 PM
To: Mark; 'David Utley'
Cc: 'Scirocco list'
Subject: RE: (WTB: 3a from Audi 80) - Now ABA vs. 3A

Mark,

Slow the hell down, he said the it was the most common failure he saw.
Not the most common failure as known to VW, and aren't you in Canada? So
your service manager spends 44% of his time in diesel not a gasser, so
what would he know. Holy shit chill dude.

Brian

Mark wrote:
> The most common failure I have seen in the rings letting go, and
> destroying
> the bore as well as the piston they are connected to... I have seen a
few
> bearings spun, but that is not as common a failure...

Don't forget there are a zillion times more ABAs running around out
there than 3As. Does the ABA's rings have more problems per "X" number
of units than the 3 A, or is it just that you're seeing more problems
with ABAs because there's a lot more out there...

I wouldn't doubt that the same manufacturer makes rings for all VW/Audi
engines (mass produced ones anyways)... Are the ABA rings manufactured
in Mexico?

The reason I ask is because I've NEVER heard that the ABA bottom end is
anything less than bulletproof. I just don't want to see someone go
through considerable expense rebuilding a 3A rather than simply swapping
in a low mileage ABA on that piece of unsubstantiated advice... I also
just got off the phone with a friend who's the service manager at my
local Volkswagen dealership, and he said there's ABSOLUTELY no "issue"
with ring problems on the ABA... Take that for what it's worth I guess,
but before you start spreading misinformation you should back up your
advice with some numbers... As an "insider" could you get some info on
how many ring failures these two engines have per 1000 un its?

Mark.
75
80 S
81 S 2.0 ABA/JH/4K