Subject: Re: WTB: 3a from Audi 80

Dumitru writes:
-------
just curious, if you're going to rebuild it (as in with new pistons) why
does it have to be a 3A? Afaik the 9A is for all intents and purposes
identical, same block, crank, rods, squirters, etc. The oil pump and
intermediate shaft might be different but aren't they otherwise
interchangeable?
--------

Hey, I'm looking for a 3A as well (also for my '81 Scirocco, to go with the JH head/cam I've got).  I'd trade a 9A block for one (from a Passat, unknown condition).  I'd also like a set of used 3A pistons if anyone has them; then I could just redo the 9A as an 8v...
Chris near Boston, MA