Boring a 1.7

Bryan Rankin wrote:

> Hey guys,
>

> I've decided I wanna bore my 1.7 Litre engine out, I know that I can get
> a 1.8 JH, but I don't want to do it that way.  Does anyone know what a
> safe bore would be?  I have heard 83.00mm, but that seems a little big
> considering that the stock bore is 79.50mm.
> It's a long shot, but has anyone here done it before?
> Anyone know where I could get the pistons?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan
> 81 Volkswagen Scirocco

I'm not answering your question* (directly) but I wanted to throw this
spaghetti against the wall and see if it sticks:

I understand the 1.7 is in reality a factory bored out 1.6 block.

Couldn't you get the JH, and bore IT out? You can approach a true two
liter that way.

OTOH, we all have our reasons but keep in mind the 1.7 may not have as
much metal to work with.

* Well I actually AM answering your question: I see in Greg Raven's book
that 1.6 & 1.7 liter blocks can overbore to 82.5 mm "with care", the
1.8s can go up to 83mm.

hth,
TBerk