Brake booster pushrod... WTF?

OK, had the brake booster out of the car to swap pedal assemblies.  I didn't do ANYTHING to the booster.   After putting everything back together, my brake pedal is now 1/2" away from the brake light switch - in other words my brake lights are always on.
I thought maybe it was the other end of the rod, in the booster / master cylinder, but if I pull on the rod it is definitely hitting the end of its movement.
Is this normal or is there something going on here?
Is it safe to adjust this?  Thanks guys, sorry for the repeated questions, the issues just keep on coming...