hypothetical ? 16v into Mk1 Questions

brett cooke wrote:

> if i were to pick up a mkI and was going to switch it to a 16v, what would
> be needed to switch it to cis-e (fuel wise)? would i need to install a
> transfer pump? and if so is there a spot for it in an mki tank or could i
> use the mkII tank?
>
> So Sayeth The Hitman
> '88 "stripe" 16v scirocco
> <http://www.techography.net:82/brettsgarage>

It's possible to run the 16v with the original Mk1's fuel and ignition.
It would be a good idea to add a knock sensing ignition component
(either a K/S box from the donor or other high compression motor based
car).

The transfer pump based system isn't a 16v requirement, afaik the two
pump system was a design meant to avoid gas draining from the tank
(perhaps in an accident) by siphoning it up and out vs draining it from
the bottom via gravity feed. The motor won't know the difference. If you
_were_ to convert over it might require changing the tank over to (or a
LOT of custom fabrication), assuming the later tank would even be made
to fit- itself a difficult proposition.

If it was possible I might counsel relooming the car with the while 16v
wire setup. The early fuse box is a nice thing to get away from, but if
it's not all corroded and burnt up then it'll render service until it
doesn't any more. It's just that it's a lot easier to diagnose and
maintain a car that looks like the schematic in the Bentley than a
hybrid, esp when you must interface with the local mechanic.

How's that?

TBerk