OT: Cabby (JH Motor) questions

Ok, I have some oil pressure questions on the JH motor that in the wifes
replacement cabby,  When we bought it the gages didn't work (oil pressure,
oil temp) but I saw the wires were disconnected and since the ppl we bought
it from wouldn't know oil from water I knew that it wasn't something they
did.

Anyway, once I got the car home and started transfering some parts from the
old cabby to the new, I went ahead and connected things back up.  Took the
car for a spin to test the shift linkage work I did and after about 15min
was meet with a nice surprise when I stopped at a light.  The oil light was
blinking, so I checked the bar gage and holy shit, it's at 0 when it was at
4-5 when I started the car up.  So I made sure to get home right away.
Checked the oil (hand't before since they had a receipt for an oil change
not two weeks prior) and found what looked to be oil, but no way was it
thick enough, looked to be 5w-30 er something like that.  So I figured maybe
it was just too thin.  Changed the oil today and used good ole' 20w-50.
While it took a bit longer, the same result was found.  Stop long enough and
the pressure drop to zilch and the light starts blinking, I start getting
pissed.

Now, the oil pump was replaced in 97' on this car and I'd hate to think that
I need to do it again, but I might.  Any easy ways to tell if the gage is
full of crap?  Also, does the pressure gage trigger the light at all, or is
there a seperate sensor for the gage and the idiot light?  Any tips would be
great, i do have the bently, I'm just too damn tired to attempt to read it
right now and I won't get a chance again till tomorrow after work, but I can
read my e-mail all day while at work.  So you guy's just became the lazy
man's bently, sorry.

Scirocco Content: My rocco has been running great since July 5th, getting a
constant 31mpg over all and will not prollie self destruct once I get in it
tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
William Snyder

88' Scirocco 16v
89' Cabriolet 8v (R.I.P.)
89' Cabriolet 8v (new, but not so improved)
71' Karmann Ghia