Strange running 16v

I had this and for a while and thought it was my ICM or coil or something
and then I figured it out...

Check for water/moisture in and around the ignition wires especially near
the spark plugs... Also look for carbon tracks left behind from this. The
water seals at the top of the plug wire on a 16V work in two ways, they
keep water on the outside out and water on the inside in. I had a problem
very similar to what you described and found that cylinder 1's wire was
arcing to the head deep inside the tube near the spark plug. I found a
little moisture in there two. I used really long Q-tips to dry it out and
cleaned the carbon tracks off the plug wire (I did not have a replacement
handy) and the problem went away.

-Raffi