5th gear available?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Ewing" <MK1Scirocco16v@comcast.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 3:09 AM
Subject: Re: 5th gear available?

> I have a few stupid questions.
>
> 1.  Julie, are you converting an AGB trans?  Seems like the step from .91
> .89 wouldn't be that noticeable but maybe I just suck at estimating this
> (probably the later).
>
> 2.  Can you use any gears out of a 4 spd for a 5 spd?

Probably

>  Is the 4th gear on
> the 4spd setup similar to the 5th gear on the 5 spd?

No, the spline on the 5th gear is smaller than the spline on 4th, so you
couldn't use a 5th gear set as a 4th. I think it's correct to say that you
cannot use a gear set in different positions due to the difference in spline
sizes.

> 3.  Is there any difference between shaft sizes when gearing your AGB down
> with 8v parts?

The only differences in shaft sizes are the input shafts are bigger and the
4th gear spline is bigger on 2Y, AGB, CHE, AMC and DFQ.
3rd gear spline may also be bigger but not sure on that.